One Large Red Onion sliced thinly
¼ Cup Apple Cider Vinegar*
1/2 Cup Water
2 teaspoons Kosher Salt
1 tablespoon White Sugar
6 squeezed Juniper berries
1 tablespoon crushed red peppers
1. Shove the sliced onion in a small mason jar
2. Put all of the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until the sugar and salt and dissolved.
3. Pour that mix over the onions, close the jar, leave it on the counter for an hour or two and then put it in the fridge until ready to use.
Step Two: Salad Dressing
¾ cup of olive oil
1 anchovy filet
3 garlic cloves
Juice of one Lime
1 Tablespoon fresh chile powder (ancho)
Kosher Salt and Grinded pepper to taste
Optional: a dried chile or two
1. Put it in a blender. Blend until the solids are fully incorporated and it looks like salad dressing.
2. Add to field green mix just prior to serving. (I usually add a little in a Tupperware container, shake it up and taste it. I then adjust dressing amounts as needed.)
Step Three: Flank Steak
1 Flank Steak
Juice of One Lime
1. Marinate your meat in the juice of one lime and a liberal shake of kosher salt for one hour.
2. Flip the steak and add kosher salt and pepper to the unexposed side of the meat after marinating.
3. Place that side down on a broiler pan and place the pan with the steak 5 inches below the broiler.
4. 5 minutes. Add pepper to the previously salted side. Flip. 5 minutes.
5. Remove from heat. Cover in foil. Stash the meat away from the cat and leave it alone for 10-15 minutes or all the juices will be lost and the steak will suck and you WILL RUIN EVERYTHING.
1. Dress the greens.
2. Place greens on center of plate.
3. Thin slice steak against the grain and place a slice on the lettuce.
4. Top with pickled onions.
5. Watch the smiles.
TOMORROW: COURSE 3 – Baked Ham with a maple molasses spice glaze. Chorizo filling, Bread filling, asparagus and zucchini